This roles primary focus will be working on the development of back-end Python code to deliver the functionality needed to meet Earth-i’s technology vision. As a Python Developer you will be expected to contribute to our software architecture as well as technology standards and choices.
The developer will also be responsible for integrating front-end elements built by colleagues into the back-end Python code therefore, a basic understanding of front-end technologies is necessary as well.
Reporting to the Chief Technology Officer, you will be responsible for:
- Writing reusable, testable, and efficient code
- Design and implementation of low-latency, high-availability, and performant applications & services
- Integration of user-facing elements developed by front-end Engineers with server-side logic
- Implementation of security and data protection
- Integration of data storage solutions such as databases, key-value stores, blob stores, etc.
- Actively participate in the definition and design of key architectures.
- Expert in Python, with knowledge of at least one Python web framework (e.g. Django, Flask…)
- Experience with Cloud platforms, in particular AWS
- Familiarity with some ORM (Object Relational Mapper) libraries
- Familiarity with data analysis libraries such as Pandas, NumPy, SciKit etc.
- Exposure to microservices architecture
- Experience with C++/C development
- Experience with Agile methodology
- Use of tools like JIRA, versioning like Git, repositories like BitBucket or GitHub
- Able to integrate multiple data sources and databases into one system
- Exposure to image/video analytics
- Exposure to Earth Observation image processing
- Understanding of the threading limitations of Python, and multi-process architecture.
- Knowledge of libraries such as Asyncio
- Good understanding of server-side templating languages (e.g Jinja 2, Mako…)
- Exposure to image processing, machine learning and data science will be an advantage
- Understanding of accessibility and security compliance
- Development of back-end for Mobile application development (native or web) will be an advantage
- Knowledge of user authentication and authorization between multiple systems, servers, and environments
- Understanding of fundamental design principles behind a scalable application
- Familiarity with event-driven programming in Python
- Understanding of the differences between multiple delivery platforms, such as mobile vs desktop, and optimizing output to match the specific platform
- Able to create database schemas that represent and support business processes
- Strong unit test and debugging skills
- Computer Science or similar degree or relevant experience
Earth-i is a UK-based provider of high-quality Earth Observation (EO) imagery and information services to a range of customers in sectors such as Natural Resources; Energy, Precision Agriculture, Financial and Insurance Services, Urban Planning, Emergency Response, and Defence, Security and Intelligence. Earth-i geospatial information solutions utilise very high resolution optical satellite imagery, full colour video and other data sources.
We supply satellite imagery from the DMC3/TripleSat Constellation, KOMPSAT series of satellites and SuperView Constellation, and high-resolution full colour video and imagery our own Earth Observation satellites. We have already launched our demonstrator satellite, VividX2, which provides the first full motion, full colour video data from space.
This is an exciting, high growth period for the company, and we now wish to recruit a Python Developer to join our growing technology team in Guildford, Surrey.
Earth-i is an equal opportunities employer.
This role qualifies for a generous benefits package including 25 days annual leave plus statutory holidays, private medical insurance, cash back towards dental and optical treatments, gym discounts, life insurance cover and pension scheme.